Thursday, March 25, 2010

St. Peter

I am continuing to read the novel and I am finding St. Peter to be an interesting, but still troublesome character for me. He is too calculating and his intellectual habits are starting to irritate me. Especially in the scene with his wife when discussing Scott and the Arts and Letters. The short chapter really personifies St. Peter and how he is always analyzing his family and the situations that are occurring. He realizes that his wife's face lightens up and almost glows when she is around Louie and planning success for him and Rosmond and that somewhat annoys St. Peter. I'm interested to see where Cather takes his character, because even though he appears to be living a life of what he aspired to be, I can't help but question if there is any happiness left in his life at the moment. Especially since the back of the book reads "In great misfortunes people want to be alone." But also interested to see how the "social and domestic rituals of a Midwestern university town" unfold and correlate to this class more. I'm assuming this novel will tie into the transformation of the west and the changes we have been discussing in class, but I probably wont grasp it until I finish the novel...so off to it I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. My opinion of St. Peter has changed significantly as I continue to read the novel. His personality has grown on me and he has become very sincere. I especially enjoyed his Euripides comment..had a bit of a chuckle at that comment

    ReplyDelete