Saturday, March 20, 2010

Thoughts About Shane

I thought Shane was a decent film, I'm not a huge western movie fan, however I did take away some things that I liked and other things I didn't like.
Things I liked: How the director has Shane change into his jeans and long sleeve and out of his nomadic attire. Also the blue shirt always seems to be one of the colors that stood out in each scene, to draw attention to Shane, who symbolized the ideal representation of masculinity. Also, in respects to the villain, he was dressed with a black vest and hat, showing his dark soul. These both were used well to symbolize good and bad. I also like how Shane was a man about buying the pop for Joey, and didn't show the slightest hesitation to go into grounds that weren't so friendly.
I also like how the settlers, even though some left, they stood up together to save their land, so hopefully they could build churches and schools and really set up life there.
Things I didn't like: I didn't like how the family turned to Shane with every little problem they had over decisions. He is not part of their family, and they should be so reliant on a stranger who they know so little about.
I also didn't like how the boy, Joey, would have killed both his parents for Shane. He literally looked up to Shane like he was God himself. I also really hated how Joey ran all the way into town after Shane, and got there shortly after, then he was just calm and cool. He had to have ran at least 3 miles and through a creek, the boy couldn't do that so quickly, and why would he, just to say sorry. Joey was okay in my mind until he did that, I actually would slap that kid.

Shane is said to be some of our nation's president's favorite movie, I do not see how that could be. Shane was not very exciting to me and it had lame fight scenes, but to each it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment