Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Assassination of Jesse James by Coward Robert Ford

A few weeks ago I watched the Assassination of Jesse James. I enjoyed this movie. It is exciting to watch the train robbing scenes- and it was especially cool that it was done at night. I kept relating this movie to social banditry- as we had discussed in class. Jesse James was definitely a glorified outlaw. Ford kept pictures and newspaper articles about him in a tin under his bed. At one point, the man on the train Jesse is robbing claims that all of the robberies were done for purely selfish reasons and did not have anything to do with social oppression. I couldn't tell what their motivations were in the movie. From what I have read it seems that Jesse was unhappy with declining social status after the civil war and continued to rob trains.

http://www.jessejamesoutlaw.com/jesse-james-history.html

No comments:

Post a Comment